Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Answer Before the Question

No, not like Jeopardy. Forgiveness. Actually came up in a leadership meeting for Cross Country that I attended today (which no one took seriously). Well, sort of. We were asked to write down/circle four values on a large list which we individually believe are most important in...life as a student-athlete, I guess. Anyway, one of mine was forgiveness, as my experience in Rwanda and reading of both Heidi Baker's book and Donald Miller's (Searching for God Knows What) have recently affirmed as crucial in Christian life.

In my evening ponderings, I remembered a conflict I recently had with my coach over caution versus laziness (basically) in regard to running injured. I hadn't really forgiven him for that, and I'm not going to say that I don't and won't keep returning to my previously angered state at the "injustice" of it all. But as Matt Thiessen so "eloquently" puts it in the Relient K song, "Fallen Man," "because the judge of you is someone I could never be, / Is why you should thank the Lord that it is Him, and it's not me." God's in control. He has it covered. And though I sometimes "want" to be upset that I have been wronged and accused of less than my best effort (a sensitive topic, not just for me, I'm sure), at times like these I remind myself that God is bigger, and that the message of Christ "preached" (try not to add a negative connotation to that word, you who are religious skeptics) is more important than any grievance of my own.

This is why I believe in the power of the answer before the question, the "yes" before the "do you forgive me." Because the fact of the matter is, that question may never come in this life (or after), and if you bear that grudge while waiting for an apology, you'll find yourself in a lonely spot, lacking the shared love of Christ.


Amis be aha.

No comments:

Post a Comment